Sunday 4 December 2011

Can You Guess Whether I had the supplies?

I would be lying if I said that I woke up this morning and discovered that magically I was transported to a place where I had all the right supplies to make todays tag.
Okay admittedly I haven't invested in any of the seasonal dies but lets face it... I personally have trouble spending money on stuff that I may only use once. That being said I still want them all and I found myself at my favourite online scrapbook store with them in my cart. But then sanity prevailed and I emptied my cart walked over to my craft desk and started to figure out how to go about best achieving this tag without all the right supplies.
I must say that I'm getting really good at thinking outside of the box ( pause as I pat myself on the back LOL!)
To start with I have some of the distress stains but of course I don't have the right colours. Well except for the picket fence. But I do have a load of reinkers so I pulled out my weathered wood and my broken china and put a small dot each colour on my craft sheet. Then I added about 4 times more water to it. Put down some of the picket fence distress stain, watered down by tag and proceeded to drag it through the ink on my craft mat. If I do say so myself I think that the background ended up looking very close to the one that Tim did.
Just like the deer in tag number two I traced out and hand cut the snowman and the snowflake.I then used some stencils that I have and traced out the 25 and cut them out with my craft knife. I don't have a dabber in white so I just painted it with white acrylic paint. Once it was dry I covered it in the rock candy distress crackle paint and waited for it to dry.
I know that it will come a surprise to most people but I do not  have the snowflake on the edge die. But I do have the scroll  one so I used it. I figured that it would give the feeling of wind to the whole project. For the inking of the snowman I once again made my mixture of one part reinker to 4 parts water. Then I used my inking tool with a fresh sponge on it and dabbed it onto the dry snowman.. The rest is just embellishments from my stash. I think that it all turned out pretty close to the original. YAY!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sault, Thanks for your reply to my comment. You gave me a good laugh. Once again you have done a great job on Tag #4. The sub of the scroll die for the snowflake one makes perfect raging blizzard sense to me. Well, almost bedtime...I'd better get my mini-mister filled up. Keep up the good work! Linda S. in NE ps...did you know it is very difficult to leave a message on your blog. Don't really know how I did it last night, but this will be my 2nd try for this one. Lost everything 1st try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda!
    I changed some of the settings for posting comments so hopefully this resolves any of the issues you had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully, this will work as I also tried to comment on your tags and blog and could not. Anyway, love your tags and I am glad to see I am not alone in not having any of the supplies. My mantra during this time has been "WWTD"-you guessed it-- what would Tim do?
    Also wanted to say that I almost had "tears running down my legs" regarding your post about taking your cat toys. Too funny. Thanks for the laughs
    Joan aka divaquilter

    ReplyDelete