Monday 5 December 2011

I Don't Know What I was Thinking But..........

When I saw today's tag I thought "Eureka .... A tag that I should have no problem making!!!!" And then the realization set in. This tag is really really really deceiving in its simplicity. I was okay with the fact that I didn't have the exact same colour of alcohol inks, I had enough different reds to make me happy. I was even okay with not having the backwards stamp, after all I have some nondescript stamps that it wouldn't matter that they were actually stamped backwards. No one would know. And as for not having the same brand of acetate so what, Tim says that my packaging stuff is just fine. And as for not having that laurel leaf die, I've become so adept at faking the greenery using the dies that I have that I'm quite nonchalant about it....."Oh that old greenery, that's just something I whipped up...La Ti Da"
What I wasn't prepared for was how much I really and truly suck at this technique. Oh My God! What was I thinking? Try as  I might it just wouldn't work the same way for me. The pictures on Tim's blog make it look like its so easy. Every time I tried to blot the ink up from the alcohol ink I just made a bigger and bigger mess. So I would take my blending solution and wipe off the back of my tag and start from the beginning. Finally I conceded defeat and just went with "pretty close" as long as I squint and turn my head sideways.
As for the colour of the leaves in my wreath I didn't have the ranger dabber paint in lettuce , but I did have Making Memories acrylic paint in celery. I figured both of these greens were from the same food group so they must be interchangeable.
Instead of a white ribbon on the wreath like Tim used I put a red one on. This I did with the soul intention of drawing your eye away from my so/so background technique. Works for me ! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Your description of today's "not so easy" technique describes my experience to a tee. I think if the archival ink pad isn't very juicy and the alcohol ink isn't on thick enough it doesn't work. At least you stuck with it--I gave up, red fingers and all. Seriously though, you ended up with a very attractive tag and there's no need for a ribbon to detract the eye. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is gorgeous...I like the background. That is what makes this tag great!

    ReplyDelete